Welcome to Mount Vernon United Methodist Church
Where All the People are Ministers of Christ
Mt. Vernon United Methodist Church has been in ministry to Jesus Christ and the greater Williamsburg community for over 125 years. We’re known as the small church with a very big heart! Mt. Vernon offers a traditional style of worship, following the liturgical calendar as laid out in the United Methodist Book of Worship and using the United Methodist Hymnal with organ and piano music.
Our vision is to seek to live and share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to nurture persons of all ages and circumstances for faithful discipleship, and to transform faith into service to others.
Worship With Us!
Please join us on Sunday mornings!
Worship service at 10:15 a.m.
Sunday School at 9:00 a.m.
News & Events
Mt. Vernon News Blast
Read our weekly newsletter
Join us for fun and fellowship!
James City Chapel Cemetery
The James City Chapel Cemetery is a ministry of Mt. Vernon UMC.
In 2019 Mt. Vernon church celebrated its 132-year anniversary!
Open hearts, open minds,
Announcements and Upcoming Meetings
- The St. Olaf Food Pantry item for the month of February 2020 is canned tuna or chicken. Please place your donations in the basket at the entrance to the sanctuary nearest the educational wing door.
- Our current Bible study, “Comparative Doctrines, Positions and Practices of Christian Denominations,” will conclude on February 19. During Lent season there will not be a Bible class. A new class on “Comparative World Religions” will begin on Wednesday, April 22.
- Tuesday Bridge: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. AND 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Conflict Transformation Skills for Churches: Offered by the York River District on Saturday, February 29, from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at Grace UMC in Newport News. Please see flyer on bulletin board for the workshop outline. The deadline to register is Monday, February 24, 2020, and the cost is $25.00 for lunch and workbook.
- Ash Wednesday: The community Lenten services begins with Ash Wednesday on February 26, at Hickory Neck Episcopal Church with the guest speaker Rev. Alexis Witt of Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church. Food and fellowship begins at 6:00 p.m. with worship at 7:00 p.m.
- Informational meeting on Reconciliation and Grace through Separation: February 29, at 10:00 a.m. There will be a Town Hall Meeting designed to help both clergy and laity to hear from two different perspectives as we head toward General Conference. The Rev. David Hindman and the Rev. Gayle Thornbery will offer remarks about the Protocol of Reconciliation and Grace through Separation and will participate in a Q&A to help all those present to understand the current proposals for General Conference. Location: Trinity UMC, 1294 Poquoson Ave, Poquoson, VA.
- Proclaiming Grace is in need of contractors: a plumber, electrician, and carpenters with certificate of insurance and business license to work on small home repair projects for people in the community in need of help. Proclaiming Grace works with contractors where they pay their full rates, as well with contractors that give them reduced rates. Please contact Kay Rowe for more information.
Outreach Mission — Heifer Project
You too can help! Through February 2020 there will be a can labeled “Heifer Project” at both church entrance doors. The monies will be sent to Heifer International to purchase some type of animal for a family in need somewhere in the world to help make them more self-sufficient. It would be great to be able to purchase a heifer, but even a flock of chickens or a goat would be wonderful. Please think about putting your loose change in the cans each Sunday through February! Thank you for shining the light of Christ by donating your loose change, so Mt. Vernon can be a part of the world-wide outreach.
From a former member
Why do I love Mt. Vernon? I love Mt. Vernon because Mt. Vernon embodied all that the church can be to the world! The church is where we have a sense of belonging, being connected to one another, in our common goal of knowing Christ and of living a life pleasing to Him.
From Our Facebook Friends
Yes, this is the church family you are looking for!
Love my church and church family!
This is a great Church with friendly, loving people!